SEO is short for Search Engine Optimisation
SEO is a huge industry that the average business with a website may still find confusing, often expensive, or is quickly put into the waste basket because it is difficult to understand. While I am not going to explain it all here (I would never have to work again if I knew it all), I will try and simplify what it means so that you can understand why SEO is in my opinion the most important part of developing a website.
Every person who gets a website wants to know why they aren’t on the first page of Google when they do a search for their product.
- Well the simple answer is that Google generally only shows between 10 and 20 websites per page after you put your search in. (These results are known as SERPs).
- Near the top of the search results page you will see approximately how many results the search engines have found.
- Even the weirdest searches will usually have a couple of thousand results, so for your website to appear on the first page of Google, it has to be more relevant than all those other possibilities!!
- Google measures more than 200 different factors when determining this relevance.
- Some of these factors include things like location, how long you have had a website, how many other sites link to your website, and most importantly the content on your website i.e. what is written.
- While I could expand further, I think this gives you the idea.
Search Engine Optimisation therefore is the skill of creating a website that meets as many good things that Google (and other search engines like Bing and Yahoo) value, so that this in turn will help improve the chances of your website appearing on the first page(s) of searches by people looking for the product or service you are supplying.
more coming soon …
Search the site
Visit South Canterbury
SEO - Tips & Explanations
- ~ Gail Foster – Nurse
"We would both like to thank you for your professional approach and prompt service. We also have been recommending you to other people so we hope you are receiving some extra enquiries"
- Read more testimonials »